Oats, Tomato and Egg Casserole
- Oats in tomato sauce? Of course! Add steel cut Irish oats from McCann's Irish Oats to a simmering, flavorful tomato sauce, and you've got a simple, delicious casserole base to cook your eggs in. Try this Irish oats breakfast dish twist any time of day. Recipe by Chadwick Boyd for McCann's Steel Cut Irish Oats. More Chadwick Boyd recipes can be found at www.chadwickboydlifestyle.com.
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- pinch Kosher salt
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (28 oz.)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup McCann’s® Traditional Steel Cut Irish Oatmeal
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup crumbled feta
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a medium sized oven proof skillet (preferably stainless steel) over medium heat, add the olive oil. Let it heat 1-2 minutes, then add the onions and garlic. Sauté until soft, 3-4 minutes.
- Add the paprika and red pepper flakes and sauté for 1 minute. Add tomatoes and water; stir with a wooden spoon. Bring to a simmer, then stir in the oats. Cook 20 minutes (oats will not be fully cooked).
- Crack the eggs evenly spaced on top of the oat-tomato mixture. Sprinkle the feta on top. Place in the oven uncovered and bake for 10 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.
Feta cheese can be swapped for parmesan or white cheddar for equally delicious results.
Cooking the oats in the tomato sauce saves time and adds flavor to the oats.
For a more browned top, place the skillet under the broiler for 1-2 minutes.