McCann’s® Irish Apple Scone
- Yield: 8 Servings
- Delicious McCann's Irish Apple Scones.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup McCann’s® Quick Cooking Rolled Irish Oats
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/3 cup bakers sugar (superfine sugar)
- 2 small eating apples, peeled and grated
- 3 tbsp milk
- Demerara sugar
- McCann’s® Traditional Steel Cut Irish Oatmeal
- Mix together the flour, quick cooking oatmeal, baking powder and cinnamon in a bowl. Blend in the butter, add the sugar and the grated apple. Bind with the milk to form a soft dough. Flour your hands, remove dough from bowl and knead mixture lightly on a flat surface. Shape dough into a round, about 1 inch thick.
- Score dough deeply to make 8 sections. Brush top with milk and sprinkle it with the steel cut oatmeal and the demerara sugar.
- Place on well-floured flat baking sheet and bake at 400°F for 25 minutes or until it is golden brown in color. Allow to cool a little before placing on a wire tray. Cool completely before breaking into sections.
You can substitute ¼ cup of the total quantity of Quick Cooking Irish Oats called for in your recipes with ¼ cup of McCann’s Steel Cut Irish Oats.
For example, if the recipe calls for 1 cup of McCann’s Quick Cooking Irish Oats you would use ¾ cup McCann’s Quick Cooking Irish Oats along with ¼ cup of prepared* McCann’s Steel Cut Irish Oats.