Steel Cut Oats & Honey Bread
- Whether you're looking for a quick treat or unique appetizer, this Honey Oat Bread is a must. Made with honey and salt, it's a perfect balance between sweet and savory.
- 1 cup McCann’s® Traditional Steel Cut Irish Oatmeal
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp butter (½ stick)
- 4 tbsp honey
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup milk
- Baker’s Joy Non-Stick Baking Spray
- Place oats in a large bowl and add boiling water. Let sit uncovered at room temperature for at least one hour. Stir once halfway through.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, and salt. (For best results, use a sifter.)
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine butter and honey and heat until melted. Stir into oats.
- Beat egg into milk, adding alternating portions of the milk and flour mixtures to the oats. Continue stirring as ingredients are added, mixing ingredients just enough to combine.
- Using a standard size loaf pan, spray with non-stick cooking spray and scrape the dough into the pan. Smooth the top of the mixture before baking.
- Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and immediately remove bread from pan, placing on a wire rack until completely cooled.
- Slice and serve with additional drizzled honey and a pat of butter, if desired.