Mrs. McCann’s® Oat Brown Bread
- Yield: 14 Servings
- Sprinkle a tablespoon or two of McCann's Quick Cooking Irish Oatmeal over the top of this bread before baking. This easy hearty bread is delicious with soups or salads. Quick bakes in 30 minutes.
- 3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup McCann’s® Quick Cooking Rolled Irish Oats
- 1/3 cup McCann’s® Traditional Steel Cut Irish Oatmeal
- 2 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 to 1/3 granulated sugar
- 1/2 stick butter, chilled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 1/2 to 2 cup buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Lightly dust the surface of the baking sheet with flour.
- Stir together the flours, oats, sugar and baking soda in a large bowl. Using fingertips, quickly rub in the butter. Make a well in the center and gradually stir in the buttermilk with a wooden spoon until the dough is soft, but manageable.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured board and knead it for about 1 minute. Shape the dough into a ball and put it in the center of the prepared baking sheet. With the palm of your hand, flatten the dough into a circle that is about 1-1/2 inches thick. Using a sharp knife dipped in flour, make a cross (do not cut too deep) through the center of the bread so that it will easily break in quarters when it is baked. Bake for approximately 30 minutes, or until browned and cooked through.
While both steel cut and quick cooking oats are suitable for making muffins, bread, cookies and cakes, adding steel cut oats give baked goods an extra chewy, nutty, flavor.